"The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate" is about a young girls discovery of science set in turn of the 20th century Texas. I found the story delightful. I really had no idea where the author was going with the story, apart from the discoveries that Calpurnia and her Grandpa Tate made. The style of "The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate" reminds me of "Anne of Greene Gables" in that nothing much really happens, the author is simply giving you snippets of the life of the main characters to show their inner growth and that is where the action is.
Each chapter is headed with a quote from "On the Origin of a Species" by Charles Darwin. I liked seeing how Kelly worked this quote into a story, as each of the quotes had something to do with what was going on in Calpurnia's life at the time. Many times, I would return to the beginning of the chapter after having read it to review the quote and have a good laugh at Kelly's wit.

No comments:
Post a Comment