Wednesday, June 06, 2012

#14 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Perhaps reading this right now, with all that is going on with my family and me being on an emotional roller coaster wasn't the best idea, but it did what I wanted it to, gave me an escape.  Unfortunately, the emotions in the book only helped to exaggerate what I'm already feeling.


I was surprised by the course the book took.  Wasn't really expecting it.  At least not one of the story lines, the other one was rather predictable, but clever so I still liked it.


After reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" I researched more about it.  I knew that it had been written in Swedish and translated into English and that it had been published posthumously in the United States.  The original title, Män som hatar kvinnor, which translates to "men who hate women" is a much more descriptive title and gives one a better idea of what the book is about.  There are parts that are pretty graphic and it contains quite a bit of swearing, but neither are gratuitous.  The subject matter of the story is brought much more brightly out of the writing because of the graphic scenes, and the swearing seems appropriate given what the characters have to deal with.  You leave those scenes feeling the desperation of the situation, nor feeling as the though the author were trying to glamorize that kind of behavior.


I also sensed an underlying European-ness to the story.  I can't exactly put my finger on it, but it has a European flair to it.  The way the story unfolds and the way relationships are built relate very much to my experiences with German culture when I was in High School.


All in all I liked the book, it was engaging and really that's all I wanted at this point.  I'm planning to read the rest of the trilogy, but I'll wait for a while until my nerves are a little less frayed.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Ok. Slow down! :) I can't keep up with you. I had Red land Black land reserved at the library and they shelved it because it took me too long to get it. I'm working my way up your list though.
I don't know much about this book except that it was made into a movie. I might have to check it out.
How ARE things going with your family? I miss all of you!!!
Just yesterday Noelle asked me about Lucy. I thought it was sweet because she hasn't talked much about Maryland for a while.