by Dr. Barbara Mertz
While listening to this book I couldn't help but wonder why we even bother with textbooks. I've read so many popular chemistry books lately this, I'm in the middle of "Hunting Eichmann", and preparing for my triumphal return to teaching it just all came together for me as this huge question. The thing about all of these books, including "Red Land, Black Land" is that it is just as informative as a textbook, but much more interesting and not condescending. (Am I the only one that thinks that most textbooks are condescending?)
Dr. Mertz divides the book into subjects, instead of the traditional chronological study of Ancient Egypt. It was interesting to follow how traditions changed over time. The Egyptian civilization did last for about 5000 years, so changes in practice and view point are bound to exist. The chapter on mummification and funeral rites is probably the most intriguing analysis in the book.
I think the best thing about Dr. Mertz, is that she isn't afraid to talk about the two elephants in the academic room, doubt and differences of opinion. In each section she's not afraid to state that many things in Egyptology are left up to interpretation. She acknowledges that given the length of the Egyptian civilization, there really are not that many artifacts to study. Mertz will compare and contrast different ideas about what this or that artifacts means. Its a refreshing way to present information and really leaves the reader with more to chew on that making a definitive statement of life in Ancient Egypt based on the Egyptologist's particular pet theory.
This book was written in 1978 and as such, is probably a little dated. Science has come a long way since then, both in chemical analysis techniques and DNA analysis. But the timelessness of Dr. Mertz's approach of making sure her readers understand that the nature of anthropology, Egyptology in particular, requires that homage be paid to doubt overcomes any changes in thought about Ancient Egypt that may have come up over the past 35 or so years.
I would recommend this book to the more advanced or highly interested middle school reader, but parents be aware that there is mention of some more adult topics before handing the book off to your child.

No comments:
Post a Comment