Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Christmas

I think the best present I got for Christmas this year was having my family at home. The culture of our family has changed since Jamie started his job, I just didn't realize how much until Thanksgiving hit and Jamie still had to go to work full time. When you are in graduate school pretty much the time between Thanksgiving and New Year's is pretty laid back. Jamie would still work, but was very available. So, this year, a lot of things fell to me to do, which with a high maitenance baby wasn't easy. Several things got axed:
  1. Usually we do a gingerbread house and family, that turned into buying a gingerbread house kit (ugh). We didn't even get to the family.
  2. No comments, bloopers or deleted scenes on the pageant. And with the technical difficulties we are having with our computer, the video quality leaves something to be desired. Actually, this year's pageant had all sort of issues, we are lucky it got made, really.
  3. No crafts on New Year's Eve.
  4. Decorating for Christmas happened about a week before and consisted of our three little trees and our little people nativity scene. I bought a wreath, but never got it hung up.
  5. Christmas cards got sent on December 26.
  6. The big trip we had planned didn't happen. Which turned out to be a good thing for me.
  7. Present exchanges between the kids. I hope they don't remember this.
  8. We didn't provide a service opportunity for the kids to make someone else's Christmas better. I didn't even realize until the day of that we didn't keep this tradition. I love watch the kids give service.

Here are some good things that happened:

  1. We spent so much time together. I remembered how much I like my family.
  2. We got to fill the time doing awesome "projects".
  3. Cleaning on Christmas Eve with my kids.
  4. A recipe book called, "Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey". I know, it isn't going to help much with my desire to get to a healthy weight, but I figure I can use it to reward myself when I do well exercising. Besides, there's always family night treats, right?
  5. New Years Eve-o-Claus bringing pizza and yummy yummy brownies. She must have my Sticky Chewy Messy Gooey book and a couple of kids named Abby and Bailey.
  6. Watching the kids be initially dissapointed with their presents, but spend the rest of the break playing with them, as I knew they would. They weren't flashy, but exactly what they needed.
  7. Being able to talk with Bailey and have him tell me that he is glad that we don't watch a lot of TV, despite this being one of his major pestering points. Of course the kid only wants to watch animal documentaries.
  8. Being able to spend time with Abigail. She is such a sweet girl.
  9. Having Seth sleep from 10 to 9 one day. I wish he would do that everyday.
  10. Not being the only one to still be in Pajamas while fixing dinner. I know, but I've come to the realization that Pajamas are clothes too and are way more comfortable for doing chores in than anything else.
  11. Being able to run any time I want to.
  12. Being able to take a shower without a two year old in the tub and a baby screaming on the floor.
  13. Family day trips.
  14. Spending time with Jamie.
  15. Laughing together.
  16. Spending some time sewing. I'm almost done with Seth's quilt, I'm so excited!
  17. Letters from FX, and DDPVCCDB & R.
  18. Focusing more on Christ than on Stuff.
  19. Planning one year to donate our time to something worth while and not exchange presents.
  20. The Christmas Pageant.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. I can't wait for next year!

2 comments:

Jill Child McGowan said...

We didn't accomplish our usual amount of stuff either. This year the holidays kind of blindsided me.

Anonymous said...

Grad student laid back!! Only if you are a lazy math major. Of course, I just spent 14 hours at work, while Peter is whining that he only gets 2 more weeks off before classes. My boss actually gave my ug a hard time because she didn't want to work Christmas Eve. My boss and I don't talk anymore, so I was spared.