My mom has type II diabetes.
My maternal grandma had type II diabetes.
My paternal grandma had type II diabetes.
My mom has high blood pressure.
My dad has high blood pressure.
My mom has had a small heart attack.
My dad has had a small heart attack.
My maternal grandpa died of a heart attack.
Both of my parents are overweight.
This is my genetic heritage. I'm predisposed to be an overweight, diabetic with heart disease. This is why I need to exercise and eat right, because I WANT to grow old and I WANT to do it in a healthy manner. I want the birth of my children to be the only time I've spent in the hospital until I'm an octagenarian. I want to do everything I can to lead a healthy life.
But, I don't. I don't exercise like I should, and I don't eat like I should. My life's coping strategies lie in eating and being a recluse. The past few months sure are evidence of that. I try not to eat all of the brownies that are left over from family night, but they are soooo good, and I feel so much better after I eat them. At least until I take a look at myself in the mirror or look in my closet only to realize that my cute clothes are still unpacked, because I can't fit in them. Then, comes the reclusion. I get down on myself and it makes me want to get away from everyone, to hide out. Which in turn makes me want to eat... It is a cycle, something that binds me more than it should.
I'm starting over again, tomorrow. Seth's been sleeping better. I'm going to get up early, before the baby. I'll pump if I have to and talk Jamie into feeding Seth while I exercise, if he happens to wake up. If Jamie gets to work later than usual, he'll stay later than usual. I can deal with that. I can handle the afternoons/early evenings with out him. And I might do a better job if I'm fit and my stress levels are lower because I exercised.
Besides, I think Jamie can appreciate the tradeoffs. He might have to sacrifice a few minutes every morning, but he will get a happy healthy wife for many years to come.
7 comments:
I've got that same type of history working against me which is why I'm happy to be the one to help push you to keep to your exercise routine. Watching parents and grandparents limited by diabetes and heart disease for me is the greatest motivator to do everything possible not to go down that road. Just let me know when you need a friendly push :)
I hope it works. Sometimes genetics seems very unfair.
Just give me a phone call every morning to get me out of bed. I've never been much of a morning person :). Just kidding. Seriously thanks for the support, I really need it. I'll keep checking in weekly, hopefully a little accountability will go a long way.
You can do it! We're all rooting for you (even when your DNA isn't...) :)
someone told me once on my mission (therefore it must be true) that 90% of how you look is determined by what you put in your mouth. that being said, i must have swallowed a watermelon or something. at any rate - baby steps!! just knowing where you are & why and where you want to be is HUGE! everything counts, and the Lord wants to help and bless you - this is your personal tabernacle of clay...if only it were as easy as getting the chisel out, right?! if you want to join the transformations gym (it's not much moola), i'm happy to be your partner sometime in late feb/early march...i need someone to go with me - keeps me steady and progressing.
Hey, you and I come from the same DNA! Aaron's genetic history includes cancer so, my kids will have it all. One more reason I have for teaching them healthy habits including exercise.
I'm in the same boat as you trying to find the motivation to get into shape or at least paying attention to the motivation that I already have. We'll work on it together.
You are doing better than most people by simply being aware of your risks, and trying to lead a healthy lifestyle. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment