Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mystical Ties

Mystical Ties are two things: Fun neck ties, and the mystical pull that we all seem to have to agriculture. Those of you who know Stu Howell will know what I mean. (Say Ya!! Say Ya!!, Ya!!!) The mystical ties to the land. Even those of us that don't like to garden, can be amazed by the growth of a seed into a plant, that provides us with food. Even in the most urban area you can imagine, you can find signs of plant life, from window boxes to that little weed that manages to break through the sidewalk.
I'm only the first generation in my family to be removed from the land. My father was a farmer until I was two years old (He was 52, so essentially he spent his life on the farm). Jamie's grandpa, who grew up on a farm, went into pig farming for a while, it didn't work out.
So, now that we are living in a town house on probably the smallest amount of land my family has lived on since the beginning of time, we still have a hankerin' to plant some seed and reap a harvest of fresh vegetables.
The key lies in the fact that we have a very large deck. In the spring, it will no longer be just a deck. It will be transformed into a garden, similar to roof top gardens. I'm so excited I can barely wait. I'm having basil withdrawls and I'm tired of going to the grocery store to get produce.

As for the other mystical ties, I'm thinking about getting this one for Jamie sometime. Think I should?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Get your hubby that tie, it's perfect for him!

I was just thinking about you guys the other day when Mrs. Maggie sent out fliers to help with the school garden. You, Jamie, and the kids did A LOT to help make our garden look beautiful. I'm excited that you'll be able to have your garden after all.

Mary said...

I say yes to the tie. If only I had something as cool to get Allen! Mystical ties . . . I feel the pull, but I haven't done it yet. I have a freaking Bachelor's in Biology, and I have yet to plant a garden! Talk about pathetic!

lyn said...

Of course you should! :)

Shelah said...

I was always totally in awe of your garden here in Houston. I can't grow a dang thing, and you had tons of herbs and veggies. As for the tie, does it come in white on black? Imo, there's only one place to wear a white tie...

Lura said...

Yes! He would love that tie! I'm excited for spring, too. Gardening rocks!