Saturday, November 01, 2008

Halloween



So, we didn't get very good pictures of our costumes this year, the kids were not being cooperative, the trunk or treat was crazy and Halloween was full of so many activities that I forgot to snap pictures. There are good pictures of just the costumes on my sewing blog if you want to see them. Seth was sleeping when this picture was taken.
Our congregation's Annual Trunk or Treat was crazy, but the kids had fun. I think Lucy had the most fun. She was so eager to try all of the games that were available.
Halloween was fun. We went trick or treating with another family that goes to our church, the Bells. We had Pumpkin Soup (recipe follows) for dinner and homemade donuts and hot chocolate after Trick or Treating. It was loads of fun! I'm already starting on the costumes for next year, at least I'm researching them!

Pumpkin Soup

2 cups finely chopped onions
2 green onions, sliced thinly, tops included
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 green chili pepper, chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use Olive Oil)
3 cans vegetable broth (6 cups)
2 cups pumpkin puree or 1 small can solid pack pumpkin
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin or curry powder
1 cup undiluted, evaporated skim milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan
fresh chopped parsley (for a garnish)

1. In a 6 quart sauce pan, saute onions, green onion, celery and chili pepper in oil. Cook until onions turn translucent.
2. Add broth, pumpkin, bay leaf, and cumin or curry powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.
3. Remove Bay leaf. Add evaporated milk and cook over low heat 5 minutes. Do not boil. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
4. Transfer hot soup to bowls. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Serve hot. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

This recipe freezes well for up to three months. We usually have it with a nice hearty wheat bread.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Arlynda, you are so talented!! We missed you guys at Trunk or Treat. Billy even mentioned how much he liked to see your costumes.

Good luck with next year's!

Shelah said...

I love your pumpkin soup!

Anonymous said...

If you check snapfish, you can see our Halloween pics. I made my costume and Peter's costume, but bought Bin's.

Kristen said...

The costumes look great. I would like to see the baby's costume. If you get a chance. Our Trunk or Treats are lame, we never go if it's on Halloween night.