I admit it, I read the "Twilight" series. I suspect that sometime in the future this fact is going to be used as blackmail against me. No offense to anyone else, but I'm typically not into girly popular things. I can't say that I really liked the ending. All in all, though, I enjoyed the series, it was a fun read.
"Breaking Dawn", the last of the series, contains one of my major literary pet peeves: using science to back up something completely unscientific in a way that undermines the alternate world the author has created.
What was it? Chromosomes! I can see why Meyers did it, but still, did she have to?
Maybe a genetisist could explain to me how having 25 chromosomal pairs makes it so that your heart doesn't beat, you are increadibly strong and fast, pale white, crave human blood, never age, and produce venom that causes individuals with 23 chromosomal pairs to become individuals with 25 pairs. Or how 24 chromosomal pairs should make you able to transform into another species, also be increadibly strong, have a high normal body temperature, heal quickly and hate all those with 25 chromosomal pairs. Then there is the question of all the offspring...
I'll stop there because I could go on for a while and show everyone who doesn't already know it how much of a nerd I am and how much time I've spent sitting around while feeding Seth thinking about the chromosomal count of mythical characters. It's pretty pathetic, really. For me, it creates questions that pull apart the fantasy world of "Twilight". It's far easier for me to swallow if all that stuff happens by magic than by freaky and just as inexplicable genetics.
My point is that sometimes, especially in fantasy, you should just leave science alone. Use the fantasy world you've created to explain what happens, not scientific principles that you've stretched to fit what you need, I think the proper term for that is science fiction. Honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised if Klingons and Romulans had turned up in the final battle. Actually, that might have been a great twist! Then, Dr. Crusher could have turned up to explain the whole chromosome thing to Carlisle.... "Beam me up, Scotty!" (On second thought, maybe you can tell how nerdy I am.)
Do you have any literary pet peeves (or comments about mine)?
4 comments:
I have read them, too. And for the most part, I enjoyed them. I hated that Bella was so dependent on Edward for her happiness, for one. I didn't really think about the chromosome thing, or that would have annoyed me too!
You crack me up woman! I didn't like Bella's dependance either but I really enjoyed the books. As for the chromosome thing, well I just look the other way. I love her character building. It swept me away. You should try Brandon Sanderson. I am curious what you would think about the Myst born series.
The venom is clearly a virus that contains the extra chromosomes. Or perhaps it includes an enzyme that splits the chromosomes at some specific gene. Telomerase has also got to be active in this process- keep those telmores long and you'll be young forever. Pale white skin must mean that pigmentation genes are being affected- I seem to recall that there are atleast 9 major genes responsible for skin color though its been a while since I have studied that. Definetely would look into those regions for rearrangements. Craving human blood- must be some sort of deficiency also caused by this huge genomic rearrangement- probably something with the heme. Now the heart not pumping- that I am a bit stumped on. All cells need nutrients- regardless of organism- even unicellular ones. So, there must be some new system for distrubuting the nutrients, which must be what the extra 2 chromosomes code for (this really is a huge virus).
For the 24 letting you transform into another speices, well, their is only like 300 genes different from human and mice. ;) As far as the hatred, with the increased smell (haven't read the books but increased sensory perception is always included in this kind of beastie), they are more affected by the huge amounts of pheromones the 25 chromosome critters are putting out. They OD a bit which makes them a bit less rational, explaining the hatred.
Tami, couldn't all of these things, if they were genetically possible at all, take place with the normal human chromosome count of 23 pairs? Wouldn't it then be easier to argue that the venom simply activated dormant genes and that the werewolves were also a product of genes being activated when the environment was right (in the presence of vampires).
Meyers used a simplified scientific reason to explain how an offspring born to a vampire (25 pair) and a human (23 pair individual) could be magically mated with a werewolf (24 pair individual). Obviously the offspring would have 24 pairs, just like the species changer beastie (although I'm not sure that the two extra chromosomes from the vampire would necessarily form a pair, don't they have to have something to do with each other? i.e. contain the genes that code for similar things?) Like I said, I understand why she did it, but did she have to? No, I don't think she did. And does the explanation really work? I don't think it does. I think people are still wondering how in the world a werewolf imprints on a half-vampire, even with the chromosome explanation.
Post a Comment