Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Walkability

One of the big reasons I miss the town that I grew up in is because I felt like everything I wanted or needed was with in walking distance, and those things that weren't within walking distance, I could get to on the bus system in a reasonable amount of time. I really miss it.
But, after living several different places, I began to wonder if I was just making it up, well, it turns out I wasn't, or at least someone agrees with me. You can get a "walkscore" for your home here. Just enter your address, and it will give you a score.
The score for the last place I lived in my home town : 69 out of 100, which I thought was kind of low, until I got the scores for the other places I've lived; our house we just sold: 17 out of 100, our apartment in a large city: 58 out of 100, the place we live now: 45 out of 100. My sister's house in my hometown has the highest score I've been able to get out of it: 86 out of 100. I'm curious to see if any body can find a place better than my sister's (86) or a worse place than the house we just sold (17). Have fun getting your walkscore!

8 comments:

Colette said...

My addressd was only 11. That suprised me until I noticed it wasn't entirely accurate. For instance, the website listed a school that is a mile away instead of the school that is a block away. Interesting, however.

Melanie said...

That is a fun website! You remember where we live - it got a walk score of 8! :) But, when I typed in Cambridge, Mass (we lived there for a few months 4 years ago) it got a 98. And I remember having everything within walking distance (or subway distance). It was great.

Emma said...

I can beat you on both ends! The funny thing is they are the two places I live right now. Where we are in WA I got a score of 69 (I thought it would be higher). And our temporary home in ID got a 3!!! I believe it though, there is nothing within walking distance except a middle school, housing and medical offices.
That was fun though. My home address (where I grew up) was a 43 and my UT address was 17! I guess the only thing close was the campus. My TX address was a 54 - I was suprised it was that high.

mytee sooperox said...

We got a 43! Of course, if it included temperatures . . . I just don't relish walking when it's 107 outside.

lyn said...

My score was a 62 - I'm surprised because we didn't live THAT far from you, but we do live closer to the major intersection, so I can walk to grocery stores, etc (although the 95* heat is definitely stopping me from that!!)

Lura said...

I was surprised that our current address got a higher score than our last one. Our current is 68, and back in our home town (oh, how I miss it!) we got a 63. I guess they only rate it according to distances. There aren't many sidewalks here, and no TREES along the streets! That is what I miss most about home... the beautiful trees lining the streets.

Queen of the Castle said...

Sooperox, I would rather walk in 107 degree weather where you live than in 95 degree weather where Lyn lives. Lyn, if we could have afforded a home in the neighborhood you live in we would have bought one there, just because it was so much more walkable. I think there should be a law that when a road is built a sidewalk should be built next to it.
I don't think the site is entirely accurate either. Our nearest restaurant is Dunkin' Donuts. I'm not really into Dunkin' Donuts. The nearby grocery store is like a corner grocery store, so although I go there a lot it is expensive and I can't get everything I need there.

Linda said...

I thought my house was pretty walkable but it rated only a 32. But I am more willing to walk than other people. I have visited places where I was told I would need a cab to get to where I was going and it was perfectly walkable to me. My daughter's apartment in Logan rated an 86. I think I will retire there!