Sunday, July 20, 2008

Back to School and NCLB

I registered my kids for school this week, which I'm glad I could do before the baby comes. After I got done filling out the paper work, I was reminded about one of the things that I really don't like about No Child Left Behind. The lack of recess. So, I'm not completely sure that the lack of recess movement is completely due to NCLB, but it certainly isn't helping.
The secretary in the school said something about the district trying to decide if they were going to make the school day 10 minutes longer or not. My response was, "I'm all for it, if the kids get 10 minutes more recess". Okay, so that probably wasn't the place to rant about my child's lack of free play during the school day, but this is something I firmly believe in. I went on to talk about how frustrating it is to me that we expect our naturally active children to "behave" for seven, sometimes eight hours a day. To this the secretary tried to assure me that the kids participated in lots of activities through out the day and were moving a lot. I guess she missed part of my point. Not only was I talking about their bodies, but also their minds. Children need time to create, where they set the rules, not the adults. Think about how relieved you are when you get to set the boundaries, when you get the freedom to create. I'm sure children feel the same thing. Anyway, here is an NPR (National Public Radio) broadcast about creative play that I really liked. Listen to it, post how you feel. I'll be looking forward to your responses.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I remember teaching in Vegas. The kids had about 15-20 minutes of recess after lunch each day. I was told I could take them out for an additional 10 minute recess on some afternoons but not everyday. And that was it. All we ever heard about was trying to fit this additional thing in for one test and this other thing for that test. Social Studies, Science and recess were constantly getting bumped for more math and language arts. Kids can only take so much before they need a break in my humble opinion. I thought that NPR thing was really interesting.

Me said...

I strongly agree with you Arlynda. I'll listen to the NPR thing when I have access to sound on a computer. It surprises (and very nearly enrages) me how little free time children have in school. What ever happened to the saying "A childs work is play"? At least our kids get free time at home. There seams to be a huge trend of families over-scheduling their kids even out side of school. Which I think is really sad. I could go on, but I won't. Just know that you are not the only one who feels strongly about this subject.

Anonymous said...

They lengthened our school day by 10 minutes, cut 15 minutes of off "specials" (music, art, PE) and added 2 weeks. And, the optional all-day K. classes don't have time for a morning recess because they have 4 standardized tests they do throughout the year. So this is why, every single year, we reconsider Montessori. And reject it because, after all, kids do have to learn to take tests if they're going to get into college and become filthy rich and support their parents in our old age.