Sunday, July 06, 2008

A Tale of Two Beds

Back in January, IKEA had a sale. A bed similar to the ones that I wanted to get for Abigail and Lucy were more than 50% off. It is a white metal daybed that I would assume just about any 5 year old girl, especially Princess Abigail, would love.
I figured for that price, I could live with the fact that they weren't exactly what I wanted. (I'm not completely sold on the daybed idea, something about it being a kind of fad in the '80's.) So, we packed the kids up in the car and took a trip to IKEA. We had no reason to open them, so the beds sat in our garage, in boxes until we moved. When we got here we put the first one together, no hitches, really easy. Then, we opened the second box and tada, we got a little surprise:


Half of the other bed was black!!! We had a white head board and a white foot board, but the sides of the bed were black! Unluckily for us, IKEA no longer makes this bed in white, so Jamie spent a lot of time painting the sides. I think that we might have actually spent more on the paint that we spent on the actual bed. Here is the lesson for this adventure, even though you take things out of the same pile at IKEA, check and make sure you are getting what you want. These beds were in the same pile, one on top of the other.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

It took much more spray paint than I thought it would. Also, I had never thought about it, but after a while your finger gets really tired of holding down the little sprayer-tip. I thik I may have done permantent nerve damage to my finger tips.

Tamara said...

Ouchie! I love IKEA, but you really do have to check stuff out before you walk out the doors...

Glad to hear that you guys are getting settled, even though it was awful.

Melanie said...

So sad! I love IKEA too. Sounds like you were able to get it to work out eventually though. I think you're right; someday all of this stuff is going to be a really long, funny moving story! :)

Afton said...

Welcome to your new home! Glad to see you've arrived, such a pain moving in though. We miss you!