Thursday, July 03, 2008

Life in a New Place

I had a list of things to do when I got here.
1. Survive another weekend without a bed or a place to sit.
2. Get internet and phone service.
3. Close on my house.
4. Wait for insurance to kick in, find a doctor, get a Rhogam shot. (for those of you that are Rh + this shots keeps those of us that are Rh - from aborting fetuses, or causing severe anemia in children that might be Rh +)
5. Get a pass so that I can take the kids to the pool in our subdivision.
6. Get a library card.
7. Get a new Driver's License.
8. Get my car registered.

This is what it turned into:
1. Survive another WEEK without a bed or a place to sit. We got here June 6, our stuff got to our house June 12. I was not a happy woman.
2. Decide which company we are going to dump too much money into to have internet and phone service because our home has fiber optics and so we can't get the cheap DSL service. While dealing with a grumpy husband because he can't check his email unless he goes to the library. Wait around for two days for the guy to show up to install the internet and phone. Find someone to be there in your place because you are stuck trying to get #4 taken care of.
3. Wait for UPS to deliver your closing papers on Monday instead of Friday like they should have, and the still charged the overnight fee. OOooooooh, I think I'll be mad about that for years.
4. Spend a week trying to find a doctor (I had to get a referral first), finally get an appointment and do the lab work for the Rhogam shot, only to show up two days later to get the shot and be told that I have to get another referral for my shot because it isn't covered under basic Obstetric care. Yeah, who was the brilliant person who thought that up? This caused me to spend a whole day with my kids in a hospital waiting room for something that should have taken 20 minutes to do.
5. Explain to the receptionist at the facilities office that your landlord did clear you to get a pass then explain to your landlord that they claim he didn't give permission. Explain to the next receptionist that you had already filed an application and were just waiting for them to give us an okay. Wait a day for them to process your picture so you can have a card.
6. Get a library card. YEAH and easy one.
7. Get a new driver's license. Another easy one!
8. Make an appointment to get the car inspected, I've never had to do that before, force Jamie to take the morning off to get the car inspected because the phone installation guy was suppose to come, pay $70 for the inspection, only to be told that a light needs be replaced and that we are low on brake fluid, with a refusal to just do those two things for us so we can get on with life because we needed to make yet another appointment to get it done. Car is yet unregistered, Jamie plans to do the repairs himself, but he is working extra so he can take time off when the baby is born. I'm kinda scared to find out how much the registration is going to cost. Oh, did I mention we only have a month left to get this done, or we loose a tax rebate option on the taxes that we paid on the car in our old state.

I don't ever want to move again. Especially with three young kids, pregnant, and a husband that has to work 9 hours a day. Lovely, isn't it?

8 comments:

Colette said...

That is terrible! It's got to get better, right? I sure hope so. Good Luck!

Melanie said...

Oh Arlynda!! I am so sorry. What a pain! I hope things ease up soon. Good luck with the car stuff.

So, I guess you're not moving for a while!? :)

lyn said...

Moving stinks. Hopefully you'll be better settled before the baby arrives!!

Queen of the Castle said...

I'm not much of a mover unless there is a really good reason. But, next time I will not be pregnant, or have a new born (Abby was six weeks old for our last long distance move). Mostly, I wrote this post because I know in a few years that it is going to be really funny.

Lura said...

Crazy, crazy!! But I do like the way you wrote it... makes it funny, too! :) Good luck with everthing!

Me said...

"Wow!" That's about all I can say. "Wow!"

Jill Child McGowan said...

Hey Arlynda!
I finally joined this blogging thing too. When I moved to Miami I got a scamming moving company who stole my stuff. I finally recovered it 3 months later but it was still across the country and all the money and the movers were gone. You learn real quick which things you really need.
I didn't realize you where expecting #4. Congrats!

Kristen said...

I'm glad you got a library card. :)