So, I went to a doctor's appointment today, just a urine, weight and heartbeat check, no big deal really, right? Well, then my doctor started asking me about my previous C-sections (all three kids were C-section) and what my previous doctor said after the last C-section. I said that I assumed everything was okay, because my doctor didn't say that she had any concerns. So, while I was scheduling my next appointment my doctor came to talk to me. She told me that she had found my surgery report in my medical records and must have missed them when she went through the records before. My doctor said that the old doctor had noted that my uterine wall looked like it was thinning, so we were probably going to have to do the C-section two weeks before my due date instead of just one.
I feel betrayed at the moment. I wish that my old doctor would have told me this. It would have been nice to know, maybe I would have gotten a tubal ligation after I had Lucy. Not that I wish I weren't having this baby, I'm actually really excited about him, but at least I would have been able to make a more informed choice. Now, I have to worry about my body being able to carry this baby for the next four and half weeks until my doctor feels safe delivering him. It isn't a good feeling to know what could happen if my uterus ruptures, what it would mean for both me and the baby.
7 comments:
That is no fun to find out now - a bit late, huh? Try not to worry too much ... if it was serious enough to worry about a uterine rupture, the doctor would have advised you that you were done (right?!) Maybe you could ask Jamie for a blessing...
Oh Arlynda, talk about a blow. I'm sorry, but I would hope Lyn is right and if it was really something to be concerned about, your dr. would have mentioned it. Still scary though.
Hope the next 4.5 weeks go smoothly!
Oooh, that makes me mad! Your old Dr. should have told you. We will pray for you. Hope all goes well. Love ya!
Thanks for the reassuring words, Lyn. It's always a concern after you have a C-sections. There are rare cases of uterine rupture even when there is no history of C-sections. My doc with Bailey and Abby handled a lot of high risk pregnancies, so we talked about the risks quite a bit. It was then that Jamie and I decided we wouldn't do anything permanent until my doctor felt that it was a good time to call it quits, even if we didn't really want any more kids. Maybe my doctor didn't mention it because she wasn't concerned. But, it seems odd to me since I had been concerned about it. I guess I'm just frustrated because that little piece of information might have changed our decision for us not to get my tubes tied after Lucy was born. Besides, my sense of comfort of everything being okay with this pregnancy has been shaken quite a bit. I feel that she should have at least had a conversation with us about it. How do doctors determine what they talk to you about? I'd prefer they put everything on the table, inform you and then let you decide. It's almost like she took the decision away from us.
That's not a fun things to have to worry about. I pray that all will go well. I just have to worry about keeping this baby in until I get back to Wa - but that's more of a convenience issue.
I'm a little irked at a few things my dr didn't tell me and they weren't as serious as that, so I can kind of understand the emotion anyway. I'm so sorry, that's pretty annoying and frustrating. I'm sure this happens all the time (not the whole misleading thing...although maybe that does too?), so hopefully you're dr will be good enough to know what to do. Good luck!
It's scary when you think everything is going fine, only to find out that there is a problem. I hope everything goes well. We are thinking of you...do keep us posted.
Post a Comment