Sunday, November 04, 2007

Recovery

We got a stomach bug right before Halloween. Everybody got it, Jamie was the only one that didn't throw up. The problem is that when my kids experience stomach problems, it drags on for at least a week, more likely 10 days, after they get better. Bailey is the worst. We have to slowly reintroduce foods to him. When he was 18 months old, and lucky me I was 6 months pregnant with Abby, he threw up at least once a day for three weeks. He lost about seven pounds, which was about a third of his weight, got dehydrated and spent a night in the hospital. Luckily, he gained the weight back quickly once he quit throwing up.
I dread when my kids get sick. Our diet becomes bananas, rice, apples, and toast for days. Then, we have to buy lactose free milk for a couple of weeks because regular milk upsets their stomachs too much. Now that Bailey and Abby are in school, we can't always monitor what they are eating, so we have to constantly remind them, and we have to worry about when we should send them back because they are not sick, but could throw up at school anyway. This is also the first time that Lucy has gotten sick and not been nursing, but it appears that her stomach behaves the same way.
So, I hope for two things, first that my kids don't get sick like this ever and second that when they do get sick, we can nurse them back to health ourselves. It is really upsetting to a first time mom to watch someone try to put an IV in your baby's arm only to realize that his veins are still to small, then move it to his foot. Maybe the memory of those things is a big reason why I dread it when my kids get sick.

1 comment:

Emma said...

I remember you telling me about that. I'm sorry you've had to deal with so much sickness recently. I hope you are done with that for a while!