Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Food Snob

People might call me a food snob. I happen to like good food, especially organic vegetarian food. Not that I won't eat meat or non-organic things, but there is just something about knowing that not only is the food you are eating tasty, but also good for you and better for the environment. Homegrown food is the best by far. Besides, I feel so much better when I eat these foods.
We live in a town that is growing a lot. Ever since we moved here I have been so frustrated with the grocery stores. One grocery store has awesome produce, but the rest of the store is entirely junk food (what I consider junk food). There is an entire section devoted to nothing but velveeta, honestly how much velveeta do you need? So, I end up going elsewhere to buy other things. The next grocery store is one that is where I usually shop, because most of the time I can get what I need there. The produce is okay, the meat okay. They have a pretty good selection of ethnic food products, but their bakery is sorely lacking. I happen to like good bread, not wonder bread in the shape of a french loaf. Then there is the one that charges way too much money. I sometimes wonder why people shop there, really. They have good deals, sometimes. There is of course Target and Walmart. I don't know if a grocery/department store was ever a good idea. Seems to me that both sides tend to come up a little short. None of them have a terribly great selection. And the lines at Walmart are horrible.
For the past two years we knew that a local grocery store chain was planning to build a store here, and yes, I have been anxiously awaiting its arrival. Today it opened! I am so excited. Lucy and I went grocery shopping there this morning. Wow! They have a mushroom section, about 5 feet wide and 6 feet tall! Yes, I like mushrooms and yes, they do have different flavors. They have an imported cheese section! Mmmmmm cheese! I couldn't get enough of the selection that they had. It was awesome. The baked goods looked fresh and smelled so good. I bought a loaf of french bread that was still warm and it felt like french bread is suppose to, hard on the outside and soft on the inside. I'm so excited to eat it.
Our town finally has a real grocery store! Only problem is, I'm moving in about seven or eight months. (But, I'll enjoy it while I can!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whats the name of the store?

Queen of the Castle said...

I prefer not to post that. If you are someone I know, you can contact me in other ways and I will tell you.