Tuesday, November 13, 2007

An Evening of Music

Jamie and I went to a classical music concert on Saturday. While we were there I realized a few things:

1. I like to go to concerts. It has been a long time since I have been to one, and most of the ones that I have ever been to were assignments for orchestra in High School, so I had to sit there and take notes about the music and then write a paper about it when I got home. Writing papers about concerts it not one of my strong points. I detested doing it. But Saturday, I got to sit back and enjoy the music, watch the musicians and the conductor. I really enjoyed myself.

2. I miss orchestra. I hope that where ever we end up has a community orchestra or something. I miss playing in a large group so much. Or, I could convince my kids to all play stringed instruments and have a family quartet! (I think Bailey would be a violinist, Abby the cellist and Lucy the Violist).

3. Music changed my life. I knew that music was a part of my life that I enjoyed, but sitting in the audience watching and listening to all of those musicians helped me to realize how much being involved in music did for me. It gave me something to work on over years that I was steadily improving at. It introduced me to people that influenced my life for the good. It helped me learn to focus and gave me a sense of accomplishment.

4. Music and art in schools is important. Sure, my kids will have exposure to these things because Jamie and I think that they are important, but had my school not had such a strong orchestra program, I would not have been exposed to music in the way I was. I think that I need to take a more active role in supporting these programs in our community.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering how you were and finally got online to read and find out. Its fun to read that even though so much time has past we have similar music appreciation and ambition. Being in the community orchestra is on my "someday" list. I was tempted to try out for ours last fall. I was tempted for about half an hour before I realized that it is not the season for me to do that now.
I'm glad you and Jamie were able to enjoy a concert together!
Jessie