Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sigh

Or Random Thoughts that Somehow Turned out Coherent.

Life is moving full speed ahead and either I'm enjoying myself too much to stop and take a picture and write about it, or I'm too exhausted and I 'd just like to put my feet up and do some knitting.  I like the pace we are keeping right now.  Just enough to keep us moving, not enough to do us in.

Homeschool has become a good outlet for me.  I find that the more I'm able to really think about the curriculum and what I'm teaching that I enjoy it more.  The more I'm reminded about why I wanted to be a teacher in the first place.

I've given up trying to find a good science curriculum.  I've decided that there really isn't one out there for us.  (I have hypotheses as to why this is, perhaps a subject for another post.)  I wrote a curriculum for geology that we are using this year.  It's been amazing.  I'm working on one for chemistry next year.  I'm getting really excited about it.  It's using my talents and creativity and spending time with my kids.  Time that I enjoy almost as much as they do.  Abby will be joining Bailey and me* next year for homeschool.  I'm getting excited to spend more time with her. 

The plan is to send Lucy to kindergarten at the public school, something I find myself growing sad about.  Who knew it would be the third kid that I'm going to cry about going to kindergarten?  I've always been excited to watch my kids grow and learn.  I'm still excited to boot them out the door and change the locks and perhaps sell the house (ya know the one we don't have) and move to a small studio apartment with my husband (so they can't move back in EVER) after they are old enough to care for themselves.  But, I know that they are changing and I want to see the growth and change first hand.

I don't know if Lucy homeschooling is a good idea at this point.  It might be too much for me to go from one homeschooler to three.  I know I'm going to miss her terribly.



*If "I" is the subject of the sentence, and you include another person, i.e. "Bailey and I", then it should be "I" because "I" is a subject.  In this case, "me" is a direct object (as is Bailey) so the phrase "Bailey and me" is the correct one.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Happy to hear homeschooling is going well and that you're enjoying it! I bet you can right a much better science curriculum that any out there. I looked for something for summer and didn't find much I cared for, either.

I can't BELIEVE Lucy is going to kindergarten. These kids just grow up way too fast!

Anonymous said...

I love that you know when to use "me", why to use it, and that you don't mind explaining it--self defense, I would guess, against those who over-correct.

Queen of the Castle said...

Yes, I have grammatical pet peeves. This is one of them. My grammar isn't always perfect, but I KNOW this one, so I thought I would share.

Mary said...

I didn't think anything of your use of "me," because it is correct. Thanks for clarifying, though. I really admire your homeschooling--I don't know if I could do it. Benji just started preschool, and I'm so glad he's going; they can teach him so much more than I can at this point.