Monday, March 21, 2011

Children Moving


Children Moving presents a view of Physical Education that I find refreshing.

Comparing the model presented by this book for P.E. to what I experienced as a student has been very helpful to help me see why I failed in P.E. (I got A's, don't worry, but I really shouldn't have.)

Starting in the mid-fifties, the general focus of P.E. was to create an hour in the day where kids do exercise.  The focus was on teaching rules to games and playing games.  Tests, such as the Presidential Fitness Challenge, were conducted randomly, with little or no preparation for the student.  Recently, focus has changed on a wide scale to creating a P.E. experience that fosters life long activity and healthy habits. 

Children Moving is about the individual creating skills and learning to control their bodies.  Exercises to increase skills used in playing sports are abundant, although time is not devoted to the actual playing of these games during class.  The thought is that by playing the game in P.E. most of the children are missing out on valuable time to practice and learn new skills.  Teachers are encouraged to suggest to the child who wants to play a game that recess or after school or the weekends are perfect times to play the games that use the skills they have been learning.  The book also contains sample curricula for the teacher, depending on the skills of the students and the time available for Physical Education.

The activities are explained well and for the most part can be completed by homeschool families.  Many can be done inside in limited space, although some would be better completed outside or in a gymnasium setting.  Materials are not expensive and household items could be substituted for many things.

I'm excited to see where the ideas in this book take us.  My kids are FAR more athletic than I am, I hope I can keep up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see a PE program, especially in MS and HS, where kids choose specific classes, similar to college courses. Do you want to run for your fitness? Great, take cross country for a semester. Do you want to rock climb or play basketball or swim? We have the equipment and the coach for that. The whole "1 week overview, including square dancing" idea is stupid.
Congrats on getting A's, though.
And when are you guys coming our way?

Queen of the Castle said...

I'm not sure how the grading scheme worked in my P.E. classes. As a measure of what I thought the objectives were for the classes, I don't think I came anywhere near an A, but I took the A's anyway.
My last P.E. credit I did on my own, which was awesome. Although they failed to inform me that I would have to do the battery of Presidential Fitness Tests at the end. Most of the time I spent riding my bike and hiking, not really things that prepare you for pull ups and mile runs, but oh well.
I agree, I'd like to see more options for physical activity in the schools. If there is a teacher in another department that wants to teach rock climbing after school, give the students P.E. credit for it. Or if a student is heavily involved in dance, or ice skating, etc. in an outside venue, why not let them count it?
I wish I knew when we are coming your way. Probably next summer, with the hope that our van is in good enough condition to make the trip.