Monday, January 18, 2010

#2 The End of Overeating

by Dr. David Kessler
Dr. Kessler critiques the practices of the food industry and the looks at the reward cycle created by food in some people.  The chapters about how to change how you eat were the most beneficial for me.  It helped me remember how I used to eat.

After I had Abby I got back down to the size I was before I got pregnant with Bailey.  I felt great.  I didn't buy food with sugar in it.  I only ate whole grain bread (usually made from scratch) we ate fruits for desert and vegetables with every meal.  I ate cheerios or oatmeal with raisins or honey in for breakfast.  Snacks were often yogurt or whole grain crackers and dried fruit.  I was annoyingly meticulous about reading labels and not eating anything that was questionable.  I rode my bike everywhere, with my two kids in a bike trailer.

Then, I got pregnant with Lucy.  I tried to keep up with the food that I was eating, but everything made me sick and I didn't want to spend so much time paying attention to what I ate.  Food was the last thing in the world I wanted to think about.  Things got worse with my pregnancy with Seth and I haven't had the motivation to really pay attention to what I eat.  I haven't gained anything since I had him (nor have I lost anything either).   My eating habits haven't been horrible, but they can certainly be better.

Exercise has been a bigger issue for me.  My asthma has been causing me a lot of trouble, so I haven't exercised while we work to adjust medications and get me back to a point where I can function again.  Things are starting to pick up, so hopefully I'll be running and biking again soon.


No comments: