Friday, December 11, 2009

#18 Worried All the Time

Only two more to go and then I'll have read 20 books this year!  (technically, I've read more between reading with the kids and the education research I've done this year I've probably read as many pages in books I didn't read in their entirety as in books that I did)



I thought this book was really well written Dr. Anderegg shows both sides of an argument, citing the side that current research supports.  He also acknowledges that just because we have a small set of data that seems to indicate something, doesn't mean that the studies were well designed or that after data has been taken for a much longer time, in this case across generations, that the results may be different.  I love it when people do that, acknowledge both side of the issue and critique the data that they have used.  As I see it, it means that the person is really thinking about the issue and not weeding the data for things that seem to support his already established views.  He also uses anecdotes and trends that he sees in his own practice as a child psychologist.  I enjoyed it because it really made me think about why I make the choices I make with my kids and what the consequences of those choices really are going to be.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I have never heard of this book. It sounds like a good one.

Tami said...

It is on route to my local library (it was at the Alvin one). So, probably Wednesday I'll be borrowing it (as well as three writing/editing books). Ever read Hero with a thousand faces by Campbell? It is supposedly a must read amongst speculative fiction people. It is amongst the books I'll be picking up Wednesday and it seemed like something you might have read.