Thursday, October 15, 2009

We Should Have Named Them Kate* and Bianca

Shakespeare seems to be entering my life more lately than every before. The fluffy romances and inaccurate histories have always intrigued me, but I've never given much heed to many of the themes, only thinking about them in academic, intellectual ways.

Today has been a really rough day. It seems my Kate wanted to make her displeasure with life well known, and we are all paying for it. My Bianca has to grow up in the wake of my Kate and while I love them both, I'm understanding Baptista more and more everyday. Now I just have to decide how I'm going to handle, it because finding a Petruchio to take care of her really isn't an option for us.

*My Kate got her shrewish attributes from me and that is part of the problem.

By the way the Elizabeth Taylor version of "The Taming of the Shrew" is the best one I've seen. If you would rather watch than read Shakespeare.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, darling, you are not a shrew. Maybe a bit Juliet-ish, but certainly not a shrew. ;o)

Queen of the Castle said...

What attributes of Juliet do you think I have? I'm curious.
From my analysis, I think I'm more Kate-like. When I feel that I'm backed into a corner or vying for attention it can get pretty nasty. Pretty much as I see it, that's Kate, just that she gets better pay offs for her behaving that way than I do. So, she does it and I don't. Plus she gets to have some control, her sister can't marry until she does. I totally understand her, it's Baptista I've always struggled with, at least until now.

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with Shrew-ness or Juliet-ish-ness...
My girls and I just rummaged through your castle and found that we like very much that you have a member of the court for each one of them. We should get our royalty together one of these years:)

Melanie said...

Good luck with Kate! :) (We LOVE that movie version. It is so well done.)