
After exploring some other avenues to try and get our kids the education they need, we decided to try out home school this summer. I really like it. I like spending one on one time with my kids. I love teaching and this setting is perfect for me. I get to spend most of my time preparing lessons and teaching. I don't have to spend hours and hours grading. I'm excited to watch them grow. I wake up in the morning with a sense of purpose, something that I haven't had for a long time and it feels good. We decided that we are going to home school this year.
At the same time that I'm feeling excited about teaching, especially teaching my kids, I also feel sad when I think about getting them all ready for school. I feel sad seeing other kids at the store buying stuff for school. I feel sad when I see the piles of school clothes that they aren't going to wear this year.
All of these things are superficial, really. Bailey needs more of a challenge at school, he's B-O-R-E-D and the school's answer of putting him in an advanced reading group (their version of Gifted and Talented) isn't really helping much. Abby needs some time to mature, last year was very hard on her and she is just getting to the point that her confidence is back.
The intent to home school paperwork is due today, (technically Monday, but if I'm going to mail it, I've got to send it off today). Yet, I'm hesitant if I turn in the home school form, then I'm stuck, I have to do it, the summer was nice because I wasn't stuck. There is just such a finality in turning in that paper.
I always feel this way when there is a decision to be made like this. There are no compromises, either it's home school or public school. When it is just me I can jump right in and go with whatever comes. But when it is my kids, it's a bit harder to change the direction. I want to do this because it is a good thing for them, not because I'm feeling happy and excited about teaching.
I suppose I should quit typing and get the letter sent. I still have to actually pull my kids out of school, so maybe I'm not stuck, yet.
3 comments:
Whaaaaat! I am a little surprised,since we had talked about this before and you had qualms about homeschooling, but to be honest I think your kids would be great at it (they are already imaginative, curious, and smart) AND I think that you would be a very dutiful, organized teacher.
Good luck! I want to know how it goes.
Hmmm. I'll be interested to know how this goes. Good luck! You are Super Mom!
I think you are awesome!! I've toyed with the idea of homeschooling, but have decided I'm just not cut out for it. Right now I can't wait until my kids go to school! Spending the whole day with them is hard for me (then again, I have a newborn). I'm keeping the idea in the back of my mind, but right now, I just don't see it happening. I think you will do great at homeschooling. Good luck!
Post a Comment