Dear Mrs. H, Mrs. S, Mrs. P and Mrs. N,
Years and years ago I was a student in your PE classes. I'm sure that you do not remember me. I wasn't an atheletic person. My family life was sendentary. Most of the time I spent in your class, I was frustrated and it came across, I'm sure as beligerance. I hated being there, I wanted to be in a class where I read books and learned something of value. It isn't that I didn't want to be healthy, its that I just didn't know how.
As I've gotten older and tried not to follow my parent's life path of obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease, I've learned that there is a form to running, that you could be more effecient by adjusting your posture while you are running. I've learned that running a ten minute mile is a respectable. I've learned that the 7:30 mile we were suppose to run in school really is a high standard and I've stopped feeling ashamed that I couldn't do it. I've learned that when you start from nothing it really is a lot to ask your body to run a mile, or do step aerobics for 50 minutes, or play basketball for 50 minutes. I've learned that equipment really does matter.
I just wanted to let you know that I ran 3 miles without stopping the other day. I've run farther than that in the past, but after the birth of my son, I could barely walk a mile. He is now 6 months old. I don't think I ever ran a full mile while I was in school.
I just thought that I would clear the air a little with you. I realize that the frustration that I felt in your class is akin to what some students would feel in my physics classes. When it comes down to it, what you teach is far more important. Only a hand full of people in the world need a really good understanding of physics for everyone to benefit. You can pay someone to make your computers work better, or to research better fitness equipment, but I can't pay anyone to exercise for me or to eat right for me. I just wanted to let you know that your place in society is important and the next time there is a nerdy beligerant student in one of your classes, take some time to remember what you felt like in a class that was hard for you, and try to help her take care of herself. It will be of far more importance to her life than you think.
Sincerely,
Arlynda
4 comments:
Amen, sister!
well put!
Good one, so did you send it???
And these security things are annoying, I can hardly tell what some letters are so it rejects them. I want to post more comments though!
Post a Comment