Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Creative Ways to Pay For College

I have a couple of creative ideas for getting my kids through college. Some of these are serious, some are tongue and cheek, you decide. I'm pretty positive that they all could work though.
  1. Get a job at the local college while my kids are in college so they can go there for free or half price. Seriously, I would take just about anything, as long as my kids got the discount.
  2. Marry them off, then they won't have to mention your income on most applications for financial aid. (You've heard of people marrying to stay in the country, now there are people marrying so they can get financial aid to go to college)
  3. Make them wait until they are 25 to go to college then they won't have to mention you on the FAFSA either.
  4. Send them to the local community college first to get the gen eds taken care of then try to find a four year college.
  5. Strongly encourage them to get good grades so that they are eligible for merit based scholarships.
  6. If you have girls, you could go the beauty pageant route...
  7. Get a copy of "The Millenium Problems" and encourage them to solve one. This would provide them with an instant PhD and a million dollars to boot. (Provided their proof withstand rigirous evaluation).
  8. Encourage them to take all the AP classes/tests and CLEP tests as well as concurrent enrollment they possibly can. Then apply to a liberal arts college where you can design your our curriculum. If you play your cards right, you might be able to get away with paying for one semester of tuition before a BA is awarded to your child.
  9. Spend all of your time and a good chunk of money ensuring that you child is the best at what ever sport suits your fancy that has a collegiate competition.
  10. Encourage your child to enroll in the armed forces. There are lots of programs there to help you pay for college either during your service or after.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Number one is actually a great idea. I think I would totally try to do that (or have peter do that).

Kristen said...

You forgot Music. There are lots of great music scholarships. Just ask Cory.

JBPacker said...

Hey There,
I like your blog. Lucy and Seth are so cute. Bailey and Abby have really grown. I enjoyed reading your posts. I love Jane Eyre too. Have fun in Wasatch Back. Your Awesome. Take Care Jessie

Rohan Shearer said...

I'm really liking number 6 and number 9. You never know...

Jill Child McGowan said...

Both my mom and mother-in-law did number 1. It really does work and saves TONS of money.

Anonymous said...

Number 2 doesn't work for every university. Hal had to provide the past 4 years of his parents' incomes when he went to one university even though we'd been married for 2 years and were expecting a child. I say, if you're going to get them married off, focus on marrying someone in the Kennedy/Romney families (depending on your political taste.) Money and influence could go a long way to college cost. Especially if they sell the influence!