I'm really surprised that I haven't read this book sooner. It's a classic and I found it very enjoyable. The format took a while for me to get used to as it is an "autobiography". The story follows Jane from the age of nine up until she is 19 or 20, (I got lost as to when her birthday was, but she was about that age), and the final chapter was a sort of epilogue written ten years later, at the age of 29 or 30.I really like Jane, I think that she and I would be friends. She is very studious, quiet, yet she speaks her mind when needed. I like the way she makes decisions and although docile and good humored, she doesn't let people take advantage of her. Mr. Rochester was a little more difficult to understand, although I really can't help having sympathy for him. The character in the book that frustrated me the most was St. John. I must say that I understand completely why Jane was certain that if she married him that he would slowly kill her.
A major point of the book seems to be what sort of love marriage should be based on. Marriage for money is visited, marriage for lust, marriage because you have found the person that you feel suits you best, marriage for convenience and companionship. Bronte leans toward the marriage because you've found the one who has fit you best. This is the only relationship in the story that we have an intimate knowledge of that really makes the people involved happy.
I highly recommend it for a relaxing read, the language is poetic and relaxing, as much of the English Literature of the time.
2 comments:
I LOVE this book. I've read it multiple times. So glad you enjoyed it!
This is one of Jeni and Maddy's favorite movies. It was done by some BBC affiliate and is a total girl movie but they love it!
Post a Comment