
I appreciate your comments, on my last post, thank you. It gave me a lot to think about. I guess I don't understand the love that people have for their TV's. I like movies, but I've pretty much given up on TV as a whole. I find that many series tend to get stuck in ruts in about the third season, some sooner. I also find that I'm more irritable and get way less done when I watch a lot of TV. I find it hard to get anything of value out of TV news (I get mine online and from NPR). I find commercials and product placements annoying. I find the pop culture that TV brings with it rather boring, and lacking in any real value. I much prefer to read a good book.
As for my answers to the questions:
Do you think TV considered a necessity? Why or why not?
Yes, because I haven't been able to find anyone who has asked the obvious question, why? (okay except Jill). It seems to me that our society cannot fathom the idea of living sans television so no one questions it when the government commits $1.5 billion to helping people keep their access to broadcast tv.
Is TV a necessity? Why or why not?
No, not even close. You can't eat it, wear it, or stay warm with it. For its educational value, books and lively discussion are, imo, far better and invigorating and relaxing the mind than TV.
What do you use your TV for, primarily (entertain, inform, babysit, etc.)?
We use it as a reward for the kids. I do use it to "babysit" Lucy sometimes, but as soon as Seth is up and mobile and not using me for nurishment 6 times a day, that will end.
How much time do you spend "learning" from what you are watching on TV in an average week? No time really, unless we pick up a documentary from netflicks or the library.
How much time do you spend being entertained in an average week?
I meant by your TV. I would say maybe 2 or 3 hours a week. When I actually sit down and watch something.
Should my family use a voucher to get an antenna?
I dont think so because we can afford to buy one without help.
Should those that subscribe to cable, on even one TV in the home be able to get a voucher?
No, I don't think so, if the voucher issue is really about the "digital divide" which is the only way I personally can justify it, then having cable on even one TV in your home breaks down that divide, IMO.
Should my family even purchase an antenna? Why or why not?
No, we're not getting a digital antenna, for a few reasons. The first is that as a family, we don't see much value to having broadcast in our home. Sure there are good things, but there are a lot of things that waste so much time. The kids have plenty to do with out TV being part of their lives. I'm less likely to plop my children in front of the TV if there isn't a steady stream of entertainment.
Thanks for the discussion. I was trying to understand how people felt about TV and the whole change over. It's something that I have had a hard time understanding. I can't think of an empathetic reason to justify spending $1.5 billion dollars on this. There are lots of things that I don't agree with that I can think of an empathetic reason for them to happen, but I've hit a wall with this one. Anybody got one?
2 comments:
Sorry I am late on the comment, but Peter and I kinda wish we had a tv that did not require broadcast. Here's our reason. In the hurricane, we lost cable. Power came back after half a week, but cable took like a week and a half. We pulled out the bunny ears and we could watch the news. We still had no phone (random signal on our emergency cells so sometimes worked, sometimes not) and being able to watch tv helped us feel a little more informed at a time when everything was chaotic. Other then that, I like PBS sprout (cable show- nonstop pbs kids shows). Bin likes background noise. She will turn the tv on and then go play in her room. If you turn it off, she gets mad. So, it is nice to have a channel that I don't have to worry about. Other then that, any shows I watch, I can watch online or netflix them someday. And then I can watch the whole show at once.
We have satellite TV. I would be perfectly happy without it but my husband would not. We did get a voucher for a digital converter. Reason: Money is really tights right now and when those lovely Texas storms blow through and the satellite is down, having the visual on the TV has really helped us make decisions about stay/go, in the closet now or not. Yes, we have a weather radio, but there are 4 million little towns and counties around here, so hearing about where the tornado is on the radio isn't always helpful.
Post a Comment