Friday, November 07, 2008

What makes a baby cry?

Of course there are the obvious things like hunger, diaper change and exhaustion, but what if the baby was just fed after waking up from a good nap and has a clean diaper?
Gas? Perhaps, but after a dose of mylicon drops and a couple of really good burps should he still be crying?
At first I thought maybe my milk production was low, he was in NICU for a few days and I only noticed that my milk had come in because I was having let downs and getting a lot more out with the pump. I didn't experience any engorgement. I pumped a few times just to make sure, even with my hand pump, I got four ounces out in no time. We gave him formula, to see if that made a difference and so that I could get some rest. I got some rest. He still cries.
I have a colicky baby.
He doesn't calm himself down like my other babies, he cries even when he is exhausted beyond reason. I have to help him calm down and fall asleep. His schedule is erratic. One night, he will sleep like a dream, the next he's up until two a.m. All the skills I learned with my other kids don't seem to make much of a difference.
Just when I think some sort of consistency is going to set in, like he goes to sleep at about the same time for a few nights in a row, he decides to change things.
I'm glad I know that this isn't going to last forever and as cute as my little man is, I'm so glad that he is going to grow up. Although I wouldn't mind if he slowed down a bit once he is sleeping through the night.

3 comments:

Emma said...

That's no fun. Good luck. It will get better. Hopefully sooner than later.

Melanie said...

Oh Arlynda, that must be so frustrating. Especially when you have three other children to care for. I hope things get a little easier soon.

Lura said...

Wow! He sounds just like Westley when he was that age (I thought all babies were like that and was pleasantly surprised when Marcus came along). Unfortunately, I don't have any advice to offer. Just hang in there!