Saturday, November 08, 2008

Family Games

Our family likes to play games together. We try, sometimes unsuccessfuly, to have a game night on Friday. Hopefully it will turn into a long lasting tradition. I usually try to have some sort of refreshment, but that doesn't always happen either.
Some of our favorite games (that we own):
Aquaretto
Zooloretto
Once upon a time
Jenga
Settlers of Zarahemla
Bonanza
Jamie has a whole list of games that he wants to buy (maybe he'll post them on his blog!). We try to buy a new game every Christmas as a family present. I wonder what we'll get this year.

Do you have some favorite games? Do you have any suggestions for games we might like?

9 comments:

Emma said...

We've looked into getting Bonanza - so you would recommend it? We like Carcassonne, but I don't know if kids would be able to play it. My kids like Rat-a-tat-Cat. It's a card game, good for addition skills. David wants to play it constantly!!!

lyn said...

We like Life (the good old fashioned one). I also really like Zooreka.

Oh - and Carcassonne is great!! At first, Thomas and I would just practice laying the tiles where they could go. Since then we've moved on to actually playing the game. He loves it and it was very easy to adapt to his age.

Shelah said...

my kids are totally insane for Hullaballoo.

Ariella said...

Both Josh and Nona like Carcassonne. We have the LDS version, but if you want to test it out on them, I could bring it over. We also have the LDS Game Book that has a ton of activities and games to play. We use it for our FHE activity a lot.

Do your kids play Settlers? I love that game but haven't tried to play it with the kids, yet.

My kids love any of the Scene It games, but they are way into tv and movies. The Disney one is pretty good and I like it because I know all the answers.

Josh likes scrabble and Battleship and he's been asking me for Guess Who? They're not necessarily family games, though. I just taught him how to play Cribbage and he likes that, too.

We grew up with a bunch of games from Discovery toys. They were learning games, but very cool.

Some of my favorites: Rook, Settlers, and most word games.

Kristen said...

I like Rook, Rummikub, Mexican Train, The Scrambled States of America card game. Oh and Monopoly.

Colette said...

I really like Ticket to Ride. It's a train game and lots of fun to play.

mytee sooperox said...

Second on that to Ticket to Ride. We have the Europe version that has some differences, but both are good. We want to get the Nordic version (2-3 players) for a good date night game

We also like Carcassonne. It makes a good 2 player date game. There are several different expansions that can complicate it, but I like the original the best.

We also really like Kill Doctor Lucky which is kind of Clue in reverse. You are trying to kill Doctor Lucky. The cards in that game are hilarious.

Killer Bunnies is another game we really like. The winning carrot is picked randomly and whoever owns that carrot is the winner. Kind of different.

Anonymous said...

Careers, Mama Mia. If you want Celtica, Peter would send it to you.

Anonymous said...

Cathedral is fun, but 2 players and a bit expensive.