Thursday, November 20, 2008

Aspirations

Tuesday night we had a family meeting. I've really struggled trying to get my kids to do chores. For a few typical reasons. 1) I'm all about efficiency 2) They are all about doing as little as possible 3) I have perfectionistic tendancies, if I'm stressed out they tend to surface more often. We do pretty well, but I'd like to feel the love more than the frustration and think the kids probably feel the same way.
So, last night we decided to take a different approach, brought on by my friend Jill's book recommendation, "The Parenting Breakthrough". It's always been one of our goals to send our children out into the world as functioning adults, and that is what this book is all about. Jamie, Bailey, Abigail and I sat around the table eating ice cream cake and talked about the things that they would need to know how to do when they were grown ups. The first few things came popping out of their mouths. Abby said that she needed to know how to drive, Bailey suggested cooking. The list grew quickly. As we started to loose steam, I suggested that they would need to know about careers, what they might want to do, how much schooling they would need, where to go to college, etc. Bailey started getting really excited and told us that he wants to be a biologist that studies animals. (Who would have predicted that?) Abigail's response: "I want to marry a doctor."

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Funny! She is a smart girl. Now she just needs to figure out that she should marry a doctor...already done with school. That would make her really smart! Good luck with the chores. So far Noelle isn't much help yet either....but it isn't for want of her trying!

lyn said...

Smart girl, huh?

I loved that book. I read it this summer - it has great advice. But geesh - it is a lot of work for us parents :)

Emma said...

Oh, if she only knew....
I never had aspirations to marry a doctor and guess what happened... Of course I didn't marry a doctor, I married a man who was 8 years from being a doctor.

Jill Child McGowan said...

Well, I'm a doctor and my husband who didn't finish college makes more than me. We do both love our jobs though and I think that's important.

Kristen said...

Did you tell her you married a Doctor?

Rohan Shearer said...

So glad to have found your blog again. We lost the link somewhere along the way. How are you guys doing?

Me said...

That's cute Joia recently decide she wants to be a rock star, and become friends with Hanna Montanna (whom she has never even seen on t.v. or heard sing) She also does not want to grow up, get married, have kids, or move out of the house. I think she is still young enough for me not to worry about this too much. When I tried to explain that growing up is fun and happens to everyone she started crying. I say I shouldn't be worried, but deep down I am a little bit. Any suggestions?