Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Is formula really a controlled substance?

We used up the last of the samples from the hospital a few days ago, so I went to buy more, but it is behind lock and key, or hidden in the same checkout isle that the cigarettes are. Why?!?, it's baby food for crying out loud, it's not like I could take it home and make meth out of it or anything. Is there some dangerous drug you can make out of formula? I just don't understand the lock and key approach. I knew this happened at Walmart, but a lot of funny things happen at Walmart, so I didn't think anything of it. It turns out that it happens at other stores too.
I haven't bought formula since Bailey was a baby. Abigail and Lucy never had formula. Bailey did because I was student teaching and couldn't keep up the pace. Seth has because I'm exhausted. When Bailey was a baby formula was kept on a shelf, just like everything else, you walked up, you put it in your cart, you paid for it, you left.
It makes me so much more less likely to buy formula, because then I either have to remember when I get to the front of the store, or I have to track someone down to open the display so I can get my one measly little can of formula that I would buy each month, because mostly I breastfeed. I'm pretty sure this hasn't been prompted by a law, I can still buy formula the normal way at Costco, for instance, but I don't because I wouldn't use the whole container before it went bad. I think this is truly the first time corporate America has done something to support breastfeeding, even if it is unwittingly.

(I'd just like to know why, wouldn't you?)

7 comments:

lyn said...

....or is it just expensive enough that it was prone to walk out of the store? I still have 3 or 4 cans of free samples... want some coupons? I've a bunch of $5 off coupons...

Lura said...

I agree with Lyn; they probably just don't want people stealing it (maybe it is a commonly stolen item). Though I think it's ridiculous, too. I had no idea any stores were doing this! Crazy.

Good luck with the exhaustion. I can only imagine with four kids, and one of them being a baby, you must be tired all the time! Wish I could help out! :)

Queen of the Castle said...

Yes, I've considered that. But I still find it funny that they treat it as they do cigarettes or benadryl.

Melanie said...

I worked at a grocery store in WA and they did it because of all the theft. It's annoying though. I remember it would drive my sister crazy when she needed to buy some for her baby.

At least it's not like when you want something with pseudoephedrine in it. You have to show your driver's license and sign a paper to get that! Just to help a head cold!

It does make you wonder what will get locked up next! :)

Jill Child McGowan said...

I know down here it's because it is stolen a lot and there is actually a black market for it because of the price. (I know south florida is weird.)

Queen of the Castle said...

I guess the answer to my question question is yes.

Screamin' Meme said...

Yes! Even in Utah the formula is getting locked up. Smith Marketplace here in Logan has the biggest problem with formula being stolen. I was extremely annoyed one day when I had to wait to get formula from the customer service desk. Needless to say I don't buy formula there very often oh and besides Caitlin is a year old so I don't have to buy it anymore. Yeah!