Bailey and Abigail both started school last week. Bailey is in first grade, Abby in kindergarten. They were so excited to go to school. I thought that it might be difficult because of changing schools, and so many changes coming at them so quickly this summer. They seem to be doing fine. They both miss their old school, but I'm sure they will learn to love things here.


Jamie is sad that he isn't going to school this year. I can totally understand how he feels. The first time school started, and I didn't go, I felt sort of disoriented. I love getting new classes, meeting new people, doing homework in the remnant of the warm days of summer before the cold sets in. I miss walking in the nippy air and going to the book store. (I don't miss spending all my hard earned money on books, but I do miss the bookstore). I love the optimism of a new semester, the chance to do well in your classes.
Our new school has even more restrictive uniforms than our old school. Which has caused me to think a lot about school uniforms. I don't know if I like them or not. I totally understand from the school's point of view why they do them, but I also sympathize with the students who feel a loss of individuality, especially at the middle and high school levels. I've also noticed that it is more expensive for us to buy uniforms. School uniforms never go on clearance, and the more restrictive the dress code, the less likely that you can find anything cheaper. Each school district has a different dress code, so second hand is difficult to come by. Granted, I'll be able to pass the uniforms on to the next kid, but I do that with their other clothes too.
How do ya'll feel about school uniforms? Like 'em? Strongly Dislike 'em? Couldn't care one way or the other? I'm still undecided, so convince me.
6 comments:
I have mixed feelings about school uniforms as well. I haven't had to deal with them at all. My boys don't really care about clothes a whole lot, so it's not an issue.
But if I had a really picky child it would be nice to have a set of clothes he/she had to choose from.
However, I agree that a restrictive uniform makes it expensive and takes away individuality.
I understand why some schools prefer uniforms. My former elementary school (that my younger siblings attended) changed to uniforms at some point, but they just had to wear the school colors without logos. Pretty simple. The pants could be jeans or khakis I think. That's pretty reasonable.
I like school uniforms. My boys wore uniforms in elementary school. The policy was navy, khaki, and white clothes with no labels. School T-shirts were permited so, guess what the PTA fund raisers were. Yep, everybody bought school T-shirts.
People in our ward would pass down clothes to each other as their kids left the school. I also found an upscale consignment store that had lots of school uniforms.
I think it actually makes school shopping easier because you know what you are looking for. Now, I have a hard time finding shirts for my boys that don't have skulls on them. Are you serious?
Anyway, I liked the fact that you couldn't tell which kid's dad was a doctor and which dad worked in the fields.
As far as individuality, they can show their personality with backpacks, shoes, notebooks, hair accessories etc.etc.
They had the parents vote here for uniforms in middle school. It was shot down almost two to one. I think I'm in the minority on this one.
When Peter was teaching, he discovered that the kids were very good at getting around the dress code. For example, the uniform did not specify shoe laces, so the kids would use them to show their gang alliances. Hence why some of the dress codes end up being pretty ridiculous. I think that the more gang influence at the school, the more important school uniforms are in preventing violence.
Unfortunately, Abby is picky, Bailey not so much. It makes it hard to find clothes for her. Last year I spent a long time trying to find shirts that she would wear. Luckily, they weren't extremely restrictive on colors so she could wear pink and purple.
I think that you can still tell to a certain extent who's dad does what. Children's Place, Gap, and Old Navy tend to have trendier cuts than say Wal-mart or Target.
Some of those parents that voted against school uniforms might change their mind if they were to spend a day at their child's school. I saw some pretty nasty stuff while I was teaching. I can imagine as the mother of a teenager, it might be really nice to not have to argue about the skanky clothes they might want to wear to school.
I like the idea of uniforms too...they don't have them here in the Austin area, but I wish they did. I think it would make it simpler for the kids to prepare for school in the mornings or the night before. It also creates a sense of equality, plus you can be confident that they will always be wearing something that you feel is appropriate without any fighting at home about it.
It may be just me, but when I was in junior high, if I didn't like the dress standards that my mom set at home, I was the kind of kid that would modify it on the way to schol to suit my needs. I wasn't a bad kid, but I did not dress to the standards that my family expected me to adhere to. I think that school uniforms in Jr. High especially are a good thing for this reason...no fuss no muss.
I like uniforms because it makes it a lot easier to dress Emily in the morning. Just pick a color shirt and grab blue or khaki to go on the bottom. I understand what you mean about them hardly ever being on sale or clearanced. It's so true. I got a deal on pants for Emily, but it was dumb luck more than anything.
And you're right, the more expensive labels have better cuts to the clothes. I'm really glad we have some hand-me-downs from Gap and Old Navy this year. They fit Emily so much better than the Target stuff I got last year.
The pictures are really cute! Hope they're having fun.
Post a Comment