Sunday, October 21, 2007

Is it an oxymoron for a stay at home mom to be a feminist?

I cook, I clean, I change diapers all day, and I sew, and most of the time I enjoy it. Maybe not the diapers so much, but I love my baby and I want her to be comfortable, so it's a give and take.
Some would say yes, that my acceptance of being the full time caregiver for my children, and at times my husband, shows a certain lack of my understanding of feminism. Okay, maybe, but let's take a look at my life. I have a wonderful husband, who loves and supports me. He works very hard not only for my physical needs, but also my emotional and mental needs. He realizes that my quitting time is not 5 p.m., so neither is his. I have three children, who while demanding, are inspirational to me in so many ways. I can't think of four people that I would rather spend time with. My life is good, I'm happy, and most of the time I can say that I am fulfilled.
So, why do I consider myself a feminist? Because I believe in the power of a woman. The power that each woman has. It is a quiet, unquantifiable power. I believe that every woman could have a wonderful career and that every woman can be a wonderful mother. Feminism should be about a woman having the ability to choose her life path. A woman should be able to support herself. A woman should be able to use her talents. A woman should be able to take care of her family whether or not she works. A woman should be able to stand up for herself. A woman should be able to lead a life of dignity and honor. Every woman deserves that. This is my type of feminism.
I would say that being a stay at home mom and a feminist is not an oxymoron. It is one example of a woman that leads a life of dignity and honor, and wants others to have the same.

3 comments:

Colette said...

I absolutely agree!!!! Thank you for putting it into words! I feel the same way. Is it because we are related or because we find ourselves in similar situations?

Queen of the Castle said...

I don't know if it is because we are related. There are certain of our relatives that I don't think would understand what I wrote about, otherwise their lives would be better.
I'm guessing it is more likely because of our situations. I think the experiences that I have had in my life have shaped how I feel about a lot of things.

Emma said...

That is so good! "Every woman should been able to live a life of dignity and honor." That sums it up!