Up until a few days ago Bailey was practically terrified of water. As a baby he would scream until we took him out of the bath tub. I hated giving him baths. As he got older, playing in the bath tub got better, but washing his hair was the most torturous thing you could do to the poor guy. When he was three I bought goggles for him so that he would let us wash his hair. Eventually he got so that going to the big pool to swim was enjoyable, even though he would spend most of his time on the side of the pool splashing in the water. I signed him (and Abby) up for swim lessons this summer, thinking that perhaps someone else could help Bailey learn to not fear the water so much. Bailey liked the first couple of days, but then he had to start getting his face wet. Then he started saying that he didn't want to go. After a long talk, we decided to go get goggles to see if that helped, and the difference is like night a day. My son can finally swim! Okay, I'm not planning for the Olympics or anything, but I am so proud of him I could burst. He faced something difficult for him and came out with a skill that he is really starting to enjoy.

Abby's class was mostly concerned with water safety, but she learned the tools that she needs to start swimming.

Now, I have to figure out when to take them swimming so that they can practice. And what to do with Lucy while I'm preoccupied with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment