Sunday, March 18, 2012

Uphill, Both Ways, In the Snow

My dad is quite a bit older than most of my contemporaries' parents.  He was born a few months before the stock market crash of 1929.  His stories about the differences between life during the depression, the war years, and the post war years, just didn't resonate much with me, until I was older and gained an appreciation for history.

I'm sure that to my kids, my stories about actually needing to set foot in a library, finding an appropriate book with pictures in it and making copies is akin to my parents telling me about walking uphill both ways to school in snow that went up to their waists.  But I can't help it, because putting something like this together when I was Bailey's age would have taken a few weeks:



It took us a few hours.  We put it together for Bailey's Blue and Gold Banquet:



Lucy also was excite to wear the Dirndl I made for Abby a few years back:



Blue and Gold Banquet is always a lively night, at least as far as having so many kids in one place at the same time.  This year's theme was Scouting Around the World.  It was a lot of fun to see the places that other people in the pack had lived (the members of our pack are wildly traveled).

I can't wait to see what it is that my kids will talk about with their kids about how things used to be.  And it'll be fun to have them realize that having so much information at their fingertips really is an amazing thing and needs to be appreciated, at least as much as I appreciate not needing to walk uphill both ways in the snow for miles everyday to get to school.

1 comment:

Mary said...

This is true. I'm still amazed at the progress that has been made, even within my lifetime. Can you believe we learned to type on actual TYPEWRITERS!? Geez!