Life is so much more interesting when you pretend that you are royalty. (At least my daughters seem to think so.)
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Decisions
I've not ever really been happy as a Stay at Home Mom. It's not that I don't love my kids or that I don't appreciate the time that I've spent with them, it's that I don't feel complete. A few months ago we started talking about what I'm going to do when Seth starts kindergarten. What started as well perhaps I'll get an associates in computer programming, turned into maybe I should go to grad school, and the process of figuring all that out, I discovered that renewing my teaching license is going to be easier than I thought, much much easier.
Getting yet another degree, even an associates, makes me feel like I'm happy being a career student, which I'm not, but schooling is a place that I feel safe and where I left off in my career aspirations ten years ago. It's also pretty unnecessary considering that I already have two undergraduate degrees. The idea came from feeling that I needed to do something to get back into the game and what scientist couldn't use some computer programming classes?
Graduate school has a lot of draw backs. I'd be putting a lot of effort into getting in. My grades were good, but not spectacular and I've been mulling around with the kids for ten years. It would be five more years of school. Five more years of homework and tests and then research which can eat up time like not much else can. I don't know that I'm really that excited about working in academia. I am excited about doing research, I love being in the lab and doing experiments, but the amount of work that is expected by some departments would be hard for us to do.
After learning how easy it would be to renew my teaching license the idea of having a job is sounding more and more appealing. I'm not going to be shunned as much for taking time out for my kids like I have. I would get summers off, and, if we are in the same school district, almost all of the same days off that the kids will have. It'll be like having the best of both worlds. It would be even more awesome if I could find a part time teaching job.
I guess that it's pretty apparent where I'm leaning. I think the clincher for me with graduate school is that I'd do it and then I'd probably end up teaching. I feel drawn to education and excited about it. It's the thing that I'm passionate about. I'm not excited about teaching under No Child Left Behind, but I'm also at the point that I don't think that it should be the only reason that I don't teach.
I think teaching is going to be the best way for me to have a job and stay involved in my family, and for me, that balance is the most important thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm sure you are/were/will be a fantastic teacher. Look how smart your kids have turned out! I know that working full-time while you have kids is lame, but once they are in school . . . go for it. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of academia, but education is always important.
I'm so glad you posted this. I've recently come to some peace with feeling somewhat unfulfilled as an exclusively stay at home mom and having a comrade is delightful. Good luck and I look forward to hearing about this journey! Especially since Freya has a whole year and a half before starting kindergarten.
Seth doesn't start kindergarten for a year and half, but it is going to take me that long to get my license renewed and find a job.
Good luck!
I usually feel that uneasy "something isn't right" feeling when I need a goal course change. I'm excited for yours. I think you'll be a great teacher.
Post a Comment