Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Adventures in Raising Seth


Episode 1:
Yesterday Seth came running upstairs to my room yelling "Mom there's a fire.  It's in the laundry room."  For an instant I thought that I needed to get everyone out and call 911, but the rest of the kids were down stairs and I hadn't heard them screaming and the fire alarms hadn't gone off, so I decided to investigate.  "Seth, can you show me where the fire is?"
"Yes." he responded and grabbed my hand, practically dragging me down the two flights of stairs to our basement.  He opened the laundry room door, walked over to the furnace and proceeded to show me the flames of the gas burning.
After giving a sigh of relief I said "Wow, you did find a fire.  That is what keeps our house warm."  And went about my business.  A few minutes later Seth informed me that the fire was off and that I needed to restart it.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get him to understand that a furnace doesn't need to run all the time to keep a house warm, but he handled it pretty well (i.e. he didn't throw a fit about it like he is prone to do when there is something he wants a certain way and it isn't that way) and kept checking periodically through out the day, giving me updates as the state of the furnace changed.
It's nice to have Seth to let me know that our furnace is functioning properly.

Episode 2
(This is an experience with Jamie, so hopefully I get it mostly right.)
Seth has been potty training in ernest for about two months now.  We are still dealing with frequent accidents, but he is making progress.  A few weeks ago, Seth was in the kitchen with his dad and said, "Dad, I need a towel."
"Did you spill some water Seth?"
"No."
"Did you have an accident?"
"No."
"What do you need the towel for?"
"Pee."
"Why don't you go to the bathroom?"
At this point Jamie moves over to him to take him to the bathroom.
"No! I want to eat my yogurt!!!!!"
Seth figured that by sitting on a towel, he could pee and keep eating his yogurt.  At some level I think this means he is getting it, but that he is missing the whole point of potty training, that you should pee in the potty.

3 comments:

Andrea Hardee said...

Hah! That reminds me of Claire. She would drag her little potty to a spot front and center of the tv. Alternatively, she would get her blanket and just pee into it to keep watching.

Jamie said...

It was more like this:
Seth: Dad, bring me a towel.
Me: Did you spill your milk?
Seth: No. Bring me a towel.
Me: OK, you spilled some water?
Seth: No it's for pee [now taking the towel]
Me: Well, Seth, let me take care of cleaning up your pee. Where is it?
Seth: I didn't pee. [now placing the towel on his chair]
Me: [as Seth climbs onto the chair] Seth, if you need to pee let's go to the bathroom.
Seth: I want to eat my yogurt!
[At this point I take the yogurt and tell him that he doesn't get it back until he has gone to the bathroom.]

Lara said...

That is hilarious!