Life is so much more interesting when you pretend that you are royalty. (At least my daughters seem to think so.)
Saturday, April 16, 2011
Getting Started With the Traits
This is the second lesson book I've read about the writing traits. (You can read my other review here: Trait Based Mini-Lessons, and also a review about 6+1 Traits of Writing.) I like that many of the lessons focus on looking at good literature and how authors use different aspects of a trait. As important as it is to have the student write, it's also important to expose them to good, interesting writing. Many of the lessons encourage the student to practice creating writing modeled after a children's book and especially working in groups. I think many of these lessons will be fun for the kids, but I won't use them until after I've used the lessons in "Trait Based Mini-Lessons" to introduce the ideas.
Another unfortunate thing is that many of the ideas presented here are also presented in "6+1 Traits of Writing". If I had known that I mostly likely would not have purchased this one. Time will tell if this book has been worth the purchase, but would have to recommend "Trait Based Mini-Lessons" as my lesson guide of choice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment