Sunday, February 21, 2010

#7: 1984

This is the first one I finished of the March Madness reading that I am doing with my husband.  He wrote about it on his blog.

1984 is an extremely well written novel.  Some things about the style, I don't care much for, but it is well written none the less.  It falls squarely in the futuristic political novels of the day.

I'm still chewing the cud on this one.  While I appreciate the walk down possibility lane, it just leaves me feeling cold, disgusted and disoriented.  I suppose that is what Orwell meant to do.  I do appreciate novels that give me something to think about, especially when they are well written, but the bitter after- taste of 1984 is lingering a little longer than I expected. 

I'll probably have to read it again sometime in the future and wrap my mind around the dizzying logic.

2 comments:

Mary said...

This book has been on my to-read list for a long time. I think the bitter aftertaste may be from hitting a little too close to home . . .

DeNae I said...

I felt that EXACT same way about this book. It was interesting to read, well written, but left you feeling strange and empty.