Life is so much more interesting when you pretend that you are royalty. (At least my daughters seem to think so.)
Thursday, December 03, 2009
#17 The Actor and the Housewife
I'm still trying to figure this book out. I've enjoyed the other books I've read by Shannon Hale, but this one is perplexing to me. It does look into the age old question of whether or not it is okay for men and women to be best friends when they are married to other people. Which, I think that they can, but that in our oversexualized post-feminist culture, we haven't got around to figuring out the boundaries.
My biggest problem with the book was the non-character husband, Mike, of the main character, Becky. Hale focused a lot on telling us how great the relationship between Becky and Mike was, but there was very little to back up that claim. I think that the story would have been much easier to swallow had Becky's marriage had a little more time to develop, so that we would also be emotionally invested in that relationship when the conflicts arose.
I enjoyed reading it. I really wish that Hale had been able to pull more out of herself this time around because as good as this book is, I think that it could have been absolutely amazing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment