Today marks the end of the first six weeks of homeschool.
I'm exhausted, but loving it. I didn't realize how much I miss being a teacher.
I've scrapped some of my curriculum, found a great grammar program and ordered what hopefully will be a good spelling program.
I've learned that I'm a hopelessly kinesthetic teacher. It makes it easier for me to see how the kids are thinking helping me to decipher where problems are quickly. Another plus is that many kinesthetic methods have self-correcting attributes to them, it helps the kids to catch their own mistakes.
I've been reading a lot of books about the Montessori method. I think the Montessori method is the way I'm going to go. It's focused on educating the whole child and that learning is about the student, not the teacher. It uses the child's natural interests and intrinsic curiosity. The Math program I have is Montessori based and I really like it. The Grammar Program we are using is produced by a company that specializes in Montessori teaching materials. The spelling program I'm waiting anxiously for uses a lot of the Montessori methods as well. I'm thinking of buying more Montessori teacher guides both for elementary and for preschool.
The biggest draw back of Montessori is the cost of the materials. Luckily, many of them can be made at home or something else can be used in its place. I've researched the items that I really think I need and that would be a lot of trouble to produce myself. I'll save up for those items.
It's been a great six weeks watching my kids grow and learn. I'm excited for the next six weeks.
3 comments:
I've been really impressed with the Montessori method. The pre-school I want to put James in next year is a Montessori school. Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I am teaching Jon how to solve story problems and relishing in teaching again.
It's so cool that you're doing this. Could you please send me a link to your home-schooling blog again?
I am a huge fan of Montessori. If I ever open up a pre-school it will be Montessori based (if not a certified Montessory school) You're awsome.
Post a Comment