Thursday, October 22, 2009

#13 Darcy's Story



****Warning: "Pride and Prejudice" Spoilers****
If you haven't read "Pride and Prejudice", I highly recommend it.

I saw this book at our library's book sale for 50 cents, so I thought, why not, cheap book, supports the library.  This book follows the story of "Pride and Prejudice" from Darcy's viewpoint.  As I was reading it I really thought that it was mostly an exposition of the thoughts Atlmer had as she was reading "Pride and Prejudice".  I really didn't feel like I learned anything that I didn't already guess at from reading the original.  Perhaps my expectations were too high.  I was hoping to get more of a taste of Darcy's manner and thoughts, and especially an extended scene where Darcy convinced Wickham to marry Lydia.  That part of the story has always given me a little trouble, so I was hoping for something to fill in the gaps for me. 
It gave me what I was looking for a quick, thoughtless read.  I'm sure there is more fan fiction like this out there, perhaps I'll have to peruse some to see if I can find a good Darcy-Wickham scene.

No comments: