Once I got to Marie’s house it was easier to get my two last runs in before the race. They didn’t go so well, but I also didn’t want to push myself too hard and get injured right before the race I had been preparing for over the past six months. I’m new to this running thing, and certainly not an athlete, at least athletic things have never come easily to me. The whole format of the race is pretty daunting. I ran 13 miles, which is a little short of a half marathon, but I ran it in three different sections, with not so much sleep over the course of the two days we took to run the race. I'm glad that we decided to head out early to I could acclimate a little, the altitude was difficult, but I had some time to get used to it.
Running a relay like this is hard to describe. The excitement, the pain, the fatigue, the camaraderie, the hunger, the blisters, the months and months of training, the support are all things that every single runner on that course understands, but that is so difficult to explain to someone that hasn't done it. I'm at a loss for words really.
It was an awesome experience. I know that I have a lot of work to do as far as getting in shape and running faster, but preparing for this race has really helped me a lot. I’m looking forward to getting back on my bike after all of this running, but running will definitely be a part of my life now.
Marinda is the kind of runner I want to be. She just gets out there and gets it done, even when her iPod doesn't work.
4 comments:
Arlynda, you are awesome! As one not-naturally-gifted-athlete to another, I know how tough it is. You should be so proud of yourself.
Congratulations! You rock. Way to work so hard towards your goal and then accomplish it. That is huge.
I'm so proud of you for running that relay. Strong work, babe.
Did you really mean it when you said I could join your crew?
Post a Comment