My biggest concern about homeschooling: me. I don't know that I have the emotional wherewithal to do it. I need some peace and quiet to recuperate. I need time to devote to my interests and talents. I need time to spend with friends. I recognize that as my kids grow whether they are schooled at home or not, these things will become easier for me, but what do I do now, or even next year with a preschooler and toddler in tow? I also don't know if I have the ambition necessary to do it. I'd have to have things planned and ready constantly, I'd have to orchestrate four different cirricula at the same time, eventually. Of course there would be overlap, but not everything can be overlapped. I'm concerned about my children getting tired of being with me all the time.
I'm a little worried about the curricula that we would use. My training lies in secondary education, not in elementary, there are a lot of things that I don't know how to do, or what is appropriate to teach when. I would have to do a lot of research. Time that I don't really have right now. My fear is that I would push my kids too hard.
I'm really not that concerned with my children's social exposure. Right now, play dates are easy enough to come by, homeschool groups can be found and, I can easily get my children involved in extra-curricular activities that will expose them to others and to subjects that might be interested in and that I know nothing about (such as dance for Abby). When they are teenagers they can get jobs. I'm having a hard time imagining a social skill that my kids could acquire in school that they couldn't get some where else.
I like the idea of a public school system. The idea of a force created by a society to provide opportunities to everyone reguardless of background. Granted, we do come up short, but without public schools, I have absolutely no idea where I would be. My parents could not have home schooled me for various reasons. I really needed exposure to other people, something that my parents would not have provided. I'm sure that it is this way for a lot of people. That their education comes about only because public schools are there.
I'm still torn, it is a lot to think about.
Ultimately, we'll probably do what we've planned, leave the kids in public school unless it becomes apparent that they aren't flourishing there. Of course, it's hard to determine where they might flourish better.
2 comments:
I have a lot of the same concerns about homeschooling. Mostly, I just don't know if I'm cut out for it. It would be a LOT of work! But I also worry about my kids not getting the attention they need in public schools (class sizes are getting bigger). I was bored a lot in school and I don't want my kids to go through that.
It seems that a lot of people worry about kids not getting enough social interaction if they are homeschooled. I worry about my kids getting TOO MUCH social interaction in public schools. I'm talking about them being exposed to things like drugs, sex, and bad language at very young ages. I did a practicum in a second grade class and I couldn't beleive some of the things that came out of those kids' mouths!
I am still torn, too, but I'm running out of time. I think I will go ahead and send my first to kindergarten and see how he does... I can always take him out if it's not working.
Good luck!
I had many of those same concerns. Living in Pangguitch didn't really ease my concerns either. but I felt like my kids were going to have to live with and work with in these same culturally and academically diverse situations all their adult lives. Learning how to be a part of a somewhat dysfunctional society--or work family--takes a lot of practice.
I decided to try my hand at the home school task by having home school in the summer, After a short break when school was out we would start home school Even with all the helps and curricula I purchased from Weekly Reader 9which was very good by the way) I found my enthusiasm waned and by August I was counting the days until the y could go back to school. I highly recommend this approach. In truth my older children got the benefit of both types of education.
Just as it is with so many other activities I found it easier to supplement and even correct what came home from public school than do it all myself.
True, I had some very bright children but looking back I do not believe they ever suffered for having learned to function in the world of the classroom. I know they could have performed and achieved more. I think they learned to take initiative and in essence teach themselves.
Good luck with this difficult decision. Having attended public school in Miami, Florida I know the environment is not great. the opportunity to teach your children how and why they are different (LDS) is a gift. I believe I am as strong as I am because I have had to stand up for who I am since I was in preschool.
I so admire you taking the education of children seriously. It will have a powerful impact on their lives.
Post a Comment