Monday, April 16, 2007

Bedroom Project Day 1

I decided I should chronicle our bedroom remodeling project, mostly so I can see the progress (since it seems so slow). Let me tell you about the interesting things I've found, just in our bathroom. Granted, I have no way of knowing why the previous owners or builders for that matter did what they did, but these things have got to make you wonder.

The curtain rod in the bathroom was held onto the wall more by paint than by the screws. There were at least three colors of paint on it, probably more. I had to demolish one of the end pieces to get it off of the wall, which is fine because I wanted to replace the rod anyway (let's just say that it didn't look that good). Sorry that I don't have any close up before pictures of it. And I immediately threw away the demolished end when I finally got it off because I was a little upset.


We used to have a cabinet that was over the toilet. I don't think that I have a pre-removal picture, but you can see where it was because the paint behind it was a different color. When I took it off the wall, I found this interesting hole behind it. I think that who ever did it, I'm guessing that it was done by the builder, used a hammer to find the stud in the wall so the cabinet could be hung. I think that there are incredibly less destructive ways of finding a stud behind a wall. I'm hoping to get the patching done today.


The tiles in the shower surround are a second layer tile job, and just for fun someone tiled part of the shower head into the tiles so that we can't take it out and replace it (fortunately it has also been painted at least 3 times, and such a lovely job at that!). We are going to try and clean the paint off and shine it up so that at least it will look better.




There is also this lovely hole between the tiles and the wall where grout should be. I think the didn't do it because the wall cabinet was in the way.


Hopefully the rest of the room will be far less adventurous!
Stay Tuned for More!

No comments: